Sunny and I

Sunny and I

Sunny and I

Sunny and I

Juicy in his 15 minutes of fame on the stripper pole.

Juicy in his 15 minutes of fame on the stripper pole.

Cole and his donk

Cole and his donk

Cole and Gunther

Cole and Gunther

Thursday, December 30, 2010

The best laid plans....

It never fails.
So I'm getting ready to go out of town to Texas for Christmas. I'm busting my tail to get everything done and actually things were going smoothly and I was ahead of schedule.
Then 48 hours before I leave, my hot water pipes freeze and my hay guy's truck breaks down and so I'm behind on putting hay in. 24 hours before I leave, I'm frantically putting hay in the pastures and my mare Jinx colics. Now, I've had this mare for two years and she's never had any health problems whatsoever. I finally leave the barn at midnight, 12 hours before my flight leaves. Thank God for my friend Shelley, who came out at midnight to keep an eye on Jinx while I headed home to pack.

While I'm out of town, everything runs smoothly. Shelley had a blast taking care of both the dogs and the evening feeding shift at the barn (well, not quite.) Except from Shelley's threats that unless I brought her a large sum of unmarked bills from TX, my shrunken head dog (Chico) would be kidnapped, I had a pleasant trip.

I get back into town and 12 hours after I return, my hot water and electric system in the barn short out. Sheesh.

Then I catch Juicy the pony having an all you can eat buffet when the feed store delivery guy left the feed outside of the feed room instead of putting it in.

The next day I discover my chicken, Elvis, has injured his wing. Today, I caught one of the horses beating him up. So, needless to say, Rachel, Alina, and myself spent some time chasing the chicken. Finally, we cornered him, tackled him with a horse blanket, and moved him to a different pasture.

Man, I'm tired.

You know, Sylvester Stallone made chicken chasing look effortless in the Rocky movies but I can tell you that it's harder than it looks.

Well, I'm off to clean stalls. Who wants to bet that Keebler pooped in his feed bucket again?? Dang, that horse has the best aim.

No comments: